The creation of orchards is a precision work. In order to do precision farming, certain requirements should be met:
- All trees need to be alligne
- Poles have to be placed at very specific positions.
- Rows should be straight and parallel.
- Intermediate free space should be added to avoid too long treerows without escape routes
So in joint effort with PVH Projects, we created 2 drills to mount on a tractor to automate this task:
- trees at constant distance
- poles between every x number of trees, and at a small distance from the end
- insert free space to allow driving out of the orchard in the middle of the field
- 2cm accuracy
- autonomous steering
- partial continuous driving (not so deep tree-holes)
- autonomous stopping/starting (for drilling deep pole-holes)
Enjoy the video of the result in action